At Højer Møbler we are working hard to reduce our environmental impact, right from when the furniture begins its life as raw material, through production and until it is recycled. This is the purpose of our environmental management system.
The means that…
- Vi produce products of high quality
- We use enviromental friendly materials
- We work towards a fully sustainable production
- We strive towards reducing and recycling our waste and we support sustainable forresting
We are also active in Netværket for Bæredygtig Erhvervsudvikling i NordDanmark (Network for Sustainable Business development in Northern Denmark), which provides us with inspiration and encourages to think even more sustainable.
High quality with a long lifespan
When Højer Møbler A/S produces furniture of high quality with a lifespan of a minimum of 20 years, we are making sure that our customers gets most value for money. At the same time we are reducing the average environmental impact of the product. This is due to the fact that the environmental impact is largest around the production stage and low during use. This means that the longer a client can wait to buy new furniure, the better it is for the environment.
Environmentally friendly materials and chemistry
It is our wish to make funiture, which supports and works great in with the daily lives of our customers. This obviously involves ensuring that all our self-produced products meets the requirements set by Danish Indoor Climate Labeling tested at the Institute of Technology. This also means that our self-produced furniture does not contain chemicals from the Environmental Protection Agency’s list of unwanted chemicals.
Furthermore we guarantee that on our self-produced furniture:
- Particleboard and plywood are free of formaldehyde glue and treated with a water-based wetcoat that is not acid-curable but UV-cured and thus has no evaporation of toxins because cure is immediate.
- Our metal components are painted with powder coating, a dry coat that is free from the solvents that are the source of toxic emissions in air and drains, and whose utilization rate is very close to 100%.
- None of our plastic materials or plastics are manufactured in the hormone disruptive material PVC, and the plastic materials never contain phthalates or Bisphenol-A, which are also hormone disruptive and environmentally harmful.
- The fabrics used, flamingo balls in beanbags and cold foam in the upholstered chairs are treated with flame retardants for safety reasons, but none of the substances are brominated flame retardants which are dangerous to the environment and humans.
Owner Jens Højer is also the owner of Højer Forest in Nothern Jutland, with the purpose of giving back to nature. The forest is a protected forest, with over 40.000 trees planted on an area of 9.8 hectares. A lake and footpaths have also been created, to the benefit of the local wildlife and citizens.
In the development of new products, we make an eco rating, where we score the products based on a number of relevant environmental issues, including lifespan, materials, transport optimization, and disposal. Thus, we motivate ourselves to make the right environmental choices in the development process and always focus on where we can improve the environmental impact of the product. At Højer Møbler A/S, sustainable procurement of all materials is an important subject. Therefore, it is a high priority for us to choose Danish suppliers when possible, so CO2 emissions from procurement of materials are as low as possible. At the same time, we have a close cooperation with our primary suppliers on how we can make production even more sustainable through new initiatives.
We recycle our waste in the biggest capacity we possibly can, and deliver the rest of the waste, such as paper, cardboard, plastic and metal to recycling through Stena Recycling. We wrap our furniture in blankets and plastic wrap, without compromising on the quality of packaging. We bring the blankets and plastic back after delivery. That way we can use the blankets again for the next delivery, and that the plastic is correctly recycled. It is not only during delivery we are improving our waste management. As early as in our developmental process, we keep focus on developing our furniture that is easy for the end-user to separate into parts of raw material, which can then be recycled.
Højer Møbler A/S is a responsible and environmentally aware company by:
- Creating long-lasting and ressource saving solutions, to prevent and reduce our environmental impact.
- Inspire customers and collaborators to chose sustainable solutions
- Trade with competent, responsible and local partners